Questions and Suggestions
Ⅰ. Central Themes and Main Ideas
Choose the best answer and explain the reasons for your choice.
1. C 2. B 3. B 4. A 5. D 6. A 7. C 8. D 9. A 10. B
Ⅲ. Diction and Vocabulary
A. Fill in the blanks with words and expressions from the text.
3. in particularly
7. at home
9. at a time
10. in consequence
B. Choose the word or expression that is most nearly the same in meaning as the italicized word or expression in the following sentences.
1. C 2. A 3. B 4. D 5. D 6. A 7. B 8. D 9. C 10. C
C. Translate the following into English
1. His behavior is always not consistent with his words and people never take him into their confidence.
2. The preface to Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English is written by Rauddph Quirk.
3. He paid tribute to china’s great achievements in his essay.
4. The justice prevailed and the murderer of his father was punished.
5. He is a famous director, but he is always dressed simply, amiable, innocent of pretentious language in his talk.
6. The food in that restaurant are not so good, the one redeeming feature is its good service.
7. Jack said he felt down to the singer.
8. Although a bedridden invalid, she is still optimistic about the life.
9. We should go ahead defying the difficulties.
10. When he heard the news, the smile on his face faded out.
11. Mary planned to expand her own article into a book.
12. The Plane fully loaded with passengers and cargo took off on time.
13. They are falling unprecedented difficulties; it’s our indispensable duty to help them.
14. He has been a schoolmate with jack for three years and he took Jack into his confidence, telling him everything about himself.
Fill in the blanks with the proper forms of the words from the list.