D. Substitute a specific or more expressive verb for a general one in each of the following sentences.
- spoke so loudly ----- was shouting at
- went into ----- pour into, swung, flocked
- break ------ snap off
- put ----- flung
- stepped on ------ crunched
- went away ------ bypassed
- struck ------- slapped
- hurriedly entered ----- plunged into, rush into
- fell ----- flopped
- removing ----- slapping/ eliminating/ brushing off
F. Fill in each blank with an appropriate word or expression from the text.
- have been ruined/ are entranced
- will play fair
- myriads of
- have overlooked
G. Translate the following into English.
- When the foot step came nearer, she roused herself, taking a book from the shelf and pretending to be reading.
- During the two-hour performance, the audiences there were totally entranced. When the curtains fell, thunderous applaud burst out.
- At mid-night, the Japanese travelers stood in the hall of the temple, listening to the ringing of the bell/ding of the bell reverberating in the valley.
- If you walk along Nanjing Road after supper, you will see numerous dazzling lights, making the road as bright as day.
- The next morning, when she drew the curtain and opened the window, she found the heavy fog covered the landscape---- mountains, lakes and all became invisible.
- The company went bankrupt because of improper management and slack trade.
- Prostitution is a plague, and should be eliminated immediately.
- Interesting talk is drowned in the clamour of firecrackers.
- Flourishing trees are so green in the mountain, she felt so enraptured as she roamed.
- The sofa is occupied by a fat man who is as heavy as 120 kilogram and therefore it sank in under the constant weight.
- The manufactures who neglect the quality of products are bound to fail in the competition.
- As you disapprove the plan, why did you vote for it?
- Because he has been busy recently, he didn’t attend the regular meeting occasionally, which should be understood by others.
- If you find one cockroach at home, then there must be 5 hundred of them at least, because they multiply very fast.