Ⅰ. Central Themes and Main Ideas
1. A 2. B 3. D 4. B 5. B 6. C 7. A 8. B
Ⅲ. Diction and Vocabulary
A. Fill in the blanks with words and expressions from the text.
1. clean 2. Shrewd 3. anticipated 4. ingrained 5. substituted 6. disguising 7. reinforce 8. uncompromising
B. Choose the word or expression that is most nearly the same in meaning as the italicized word or expression in the following sentences.
1. A 2. B 3. C 4. B 5. C 6. A 7. A 8. C
C. Translate the following into English.
- What Tom needs at the moment is not financial support but advice/counsel.
- These two brothers resemble each other except for their disposition/ temperament.
- My advice is that you should not contact him at all from now on/ should not have any relationship with him at all from now on.
- It’s no exaggerates to say that Bob got all he has now, thanks to your father.
- Although I completely support the proposal, very probably, it will be rejected of considering in the conference.
- His laughter horrified me.
- His essays are full of sharp sarcasms, which distinguished him from other writers.
- Roy’s words about the mismanagement of his factory reveal his ignorance.
- How come you come before the arrival of the telegram?
- Due to the different opinions of the matter held by your parents and you, they probably do not support the plan.
- The incongruity between his income and consumption threw doubt on his character.
- What arouses hostility is not hatred but the impairment of self-esteem.
- When judges consider evidence, they must be detached / fair.
- The Chinese anticipate Europeans in the invention of gun powder.