Ⅱ.Synonyms and Antonyms
Fill in each blank with the participial form of the verb given in the brackets:
1. relaxed, 2. packed gliding fitting 3. disguised 4. blunted 5. spreading involving 6. leading
7. added 8. prevailing 9. cancelled determined 10. folded watching fascinated 11. doting 12. failed 13. hurried pretending 14. faded 15. renewed
Ⅳ. Diction and Vocabulary
2. before---ahead of
3. streetcar---train sidewalk---pavement pruse—handbag
4. got on—boarded or climbed aboard
8. shone with happiness—beamed
10. unbelievable—incredible, unimaginable
1. get into trouble
3. keep me company
4. are weighed down
5. took refuge in
6. engrossed, failed
7. to take advantage of
8. to play hookey
9. tiptoed, intrude upon
10. keep up with
11. are looking forward to
12. tripped over
13. could afford
- I cannot imagine what prompts him to continue the graduate study at such an age.
- He set out at six o’clock, one hour ahead of his usual time to go to work.
- I could see that Jimmy was eager to tell me his interview. He said in smile, “When I walked to the desk, the manager raised his head, taking stock of me. He asked me a few questions and then said O.K.”
- The general was actually prisoned at home. He took refuge in the national paintings and calligraphies, seeking his solace in ink and water.
- The train to Beijing was due to leave Shanghai at 17:25, so I called a taxi. When I boarded the train, it started shortly after I found my bunk berth.
- Mrs. Green is just like Mrs. Taylor, living lonely on a skimpy pension. Day after day, she is cooped up in a gloomy little room and starves for a companion living with her.
- The female scientist said, “I can do without jewelry, or even the car, but I cannot do without my labs and books.”
- The hustle and bustle before setting off, the car ride and the picnic itself filled the children with excitement and thrill.
- The boat flew forward, and the girls were enthralled with the beautiful picturesque scenery.
- Anne was surprised to see Steven in the corridor. She asked herself, “What is he doing this hour of the night?”
- I cannot recognize her as she seems not to be the lively girl I familiar with but rather a model, wearing a brand-new green velvet dress and green shoes with her hair done up into a bun.
- This is his first time coming back to his home village after forty years and brought with him nostalgic memories of the past.
- That night she tossed and turned in bed and could not fall asleep, with many things passing her mind.
- Cooking a rich dinner for twelve people is quite a job.
- The twin sisters are much alike, and people often mistake one for the other.
- When the old lady came back home. She found the door open and all the stuff in the drawer had been tossed out. She tried to check what was lost, and was depressed to find several pieces of jewels were lost, including a pearl necklace, a pair of gold chain bangles and three precious stone broaches.
- I was to take No 21 bus (trolley), so when a bus came, I tried my best to rush to the bus stop and get on the bus. It was too late when I found I’d taken the wrong bus. I mistook the No. 15 for No. 21 bus, while the conductor said I could change at the next stop.
- The friend she missed most was Li, a timid girl, who never say no to any of her request.